Born in Holland, Jeanne (pronounce it like the French do) lived in The Netherlands and Northern Africa, before immigrating to Vancouver, Canada in 1999. Since that time she has been busy establishing herself as a talented mixed media artist with European flair on the West Coast. Jeanne is an artist full of energy and passion. Painting has always been part of Jeanne's daily life. She has formal training in the European art tradition and extensive exhibit experience both in Europe and North America. After finishing art training in The Netherlands and France, she started painting in themes, working with acrylics, water colour, oil paint, encaustic techniques, printmaking and collage. Working in themes, in series of paintings, allows her to explore a theme or concept. This way the process of painting is for her a journey, a voyage through ideas, composition, texture and colour. Always trying to get as close as she can to the story she wants to share.
Stylistically many of her works hover somewhere between representational and abstract. With a strong sense of colour Jeanne creates paintings, tactile compositions, that are peaceful yet full of movement, subtle yet powerful. The works in her series are all painted on a built surface of different textural materials such as acrylics, plaster, altered images, graphite, inks, wax and oil paint, sometimes adding rust and patinas for extra depth.
Jeanne's most recent series of abstracts is based on the theme 'Lively Lessons'. The paintings of this series follow the chapters and pages of the book 'The Little Prince' by Antoine De Saint Exupéry. "This book has for years been my most favourite little gem. Reading and re-reading it I bump into themes and such rich thoughts, that I want to give it shape through colour and design." says the artist.
A selection of this series can be found in the gallery on this website titled Lively Lessons.
A large part of Jeanne's work has been sold at exhibitions, but individuals and corporations have also commissioned her. Over the years, many of Jeanne's paintings have found a home in Europe, North America, Australia, South Africa, Japan and China.
- Experimental techniques: Emily Carr Institute of Art and Design, Vancouver, Canada (2001)
- Mixed Media: Vancouver Academy of Art, Canada (2000)
- Photography and Design Diploma: Studio Rosenberg Academy, Utrecht, The Netherlands (1997)
- Independent Work, Painting/Mixed Media/Graphic Arts: Artibus Academy of Fine Arts, Utrecht, The Netherlands (1990)
- Painting: Ecole Nationales Superieurs des Beaux Arts, Paris, France (1988)
- Degree Adult Education, Windesheim, The Netherlands, (1988)
- Degree Agogical Professional Training Art Therapy/Play therapy, SOAB, The Netherlands, (1986)
- Fine Arts Certificate: Royal College PBNA, Arnhem, The Netherlands (1978)
My Exhibitions Page provides an overview of my exhibitions.
- De R-u-i-m-t-e - Artist in residency with exhibition, The Netherlands, 2004.
- The Banff Centre - Artist In Residency program (BAIR) Early Fall 2011.
- West Point Grey Academy, Vancouver, BC Canada, 2016.
- Coal Harbour Community Centre, Vancouver, 2005 – 2019
- Coast Resource Centre, Vancouver, Canada 2004 - 2018; Members exhibition May 2005, May 2006, June 2007, Sept 2008, Olympic Art Show CONNECT, Feb/Mar 2010, members exhibition September 2011
- Emily Carr Institute for Art and Design, Vancouver, 2006 - 2017
- Quest University, Squamish, BC, 2015
- Langara College, Vancouver, 2011
- Creekside Community and Recreation Centre (Olympic Village), Vancouver BC, 2010 - 2014.
- Metchosin International School of Art, Victoria, BC, 2007, 2008, 2010
- Red Deer College, Red Deer, AB, 2006
- HoogSticht College, Utrecht, The Netherlands 1994 -1999
- Dennendal, Den Dolder, The Netherlands 1989 – 1994
- Dabar College, Zwolle, The Netherlands 1984 -1989
- Vienna Summerschool of the Arts, Vienna, Austria, 1984
- University of Nijmegen, Faculty of Arts and Social studies, Nijmegen, The Netherlands, 1981 – 1983
- And several workshops, weekend courses and painting trips in The Netherlands and Canada, 1985 – ongoing
- Hoouse & Home Magazine, DecemberiIssue 2018
- Inspired BC, movie directed by Camille Vernet, part of a web series about artists in British Columbia.
- Vancouver Courier Interview - The Art of Coping with Mental Illness ( May 18, 2017). Please see article and video clip
- That Channel, Toronto, ON, live-interview, 2017
- CKNW radio interview regarding Annual Coast Art Show, 2013
- Vancouver Sun interview, UGM rotating art gallery, 2013
- Global TV News, about the production of the Annual Coast Art Show 2012
- North Shore News, interview on the exhibition INVESTIGATIONS at Seymour Art Gallery Deep Cove, 2012
- CBC radio The Early Edition with Rick Cluff April 2010 – interview about the art show “ALLEY WAYS at the Sidney and Gertrude Zack Gallery, Vancouver
- Jewish Independent April 2010 – interview and review of the show ALLEY WAYS with Norm Chodirker
- CBC The National Feb 2010 – TV interview with Bob Nixon about Jeanne’s work with Coast Mental Health and the CONNECT Art Show
- Reader’s Digest Dec 2009 – interview ‘Art From The Edge’ about the artist’s volunteer art work with Coast Mental Health
- Granville Island News Mar 2009 – interview ‘Tenant of the Month’
- Channel M, Chai Time May 2008 - TV interview about the series “A Travel Journal”
- Travel with a Challenge web magazine
- http://www.blueprintreview.de/27what.htm - a collaboration of poets on Jeanne's painting Transition, published in BluePrint Review
- Art From the Edge, Readers Digest, December 2009
- Royal University Willem Pompe, The Netherlands, illustration of dissertation Dr. L.H.M. Slits, 1990
- Tienerlatijn, Creative Magazine For Teenagers, writer, 1982 – 1989
- “Art and Rhythm”, a book on the influence of rhythm on arts and play, writer, 1985
- “The Boy Who Started To Grow”, dissertation on Art Therapy, writer, 1987
- “Hotel Victoria”, writer/producer of a musical with residents, relatives and friends of the people in Dennendal, the Netherlands, 1994
- “Lord of The Rings”, producer of a two months Summer festival with residents of Dennendal, The Netherlands, 1991
CURATED ART SHOWS
- PICKS AND PIXELS, Britannia Mine Museum, Britannia Beach, 2018
- HARBOUR ART, Vancouver Martime Museum, 2015
- NO FUTURE WITHOUT A PAST, Britannia Mine Museum, Britannia Beach, 2015
- MIXX, Concourse Gallery, Emily Carr University, Vancouver, 2014
- BREAKING GROUND, Britannia Mine Museum, 2014
- WATER WORKS, Vancouver Maritime Museum, 2013
- ABOVE AND BELOW THE SURFACE, Britannia Mine Museum, 2013
- TRANSFORMATION, a student art show at Emily Carr University's Concourse Gallery, 2011
- START shows (Student Art Shows with student work from Jeanne's diverse classes), 2007, 2008, 2009
- CONNECT, Olympic Art Show with Coast Mental Health and The Gathering Place, 2010
- COAST ART SHOW & SALE, 2005-2013
Jeanne enjoys to receive your comments on her art or web site. Please send her an e-mail.
Jeanne is a member of CARFAC
Inspired by nature, traveling and people
Colourful .... a wide range of subjects
Somewhere between representational and abstract
Acrylics, mixed media, collage
Exhibited throughout the world
Jeanne working at her former Salt Water Studio
Read From the Art Edge, Reader's Digest, December 2009. Click image above.
How shall we say the poem started? The collaboration as layered in its process as the painting that inspired it: from the outermost pigment we soak in and touch, down through spackle and canvas, to muse.